Bloat!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Mar 27, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Bella has bloat. I stupidly did not notice until after she had had her grain during evening milking. I had just got home from working for 13hrs and wasn't paying close enough attention. She has some rumenal sounds (is that what you call it?), and through walking, massaging, oil, and baking soda, we have gotten her to burp quite a number of times but she still looks really big and isn't acting her normal self. At what point can I stop walking her around and rubbing her to get her to burp? We tried tubing her (my husband is a paramedic and we looked up diagrams and such online first), but it didn't seem to release any gas. Is there anything else we can do? She is one of my first goats, we have had them since November, so I am totally new at this and very worried we will lose her to this.

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I read on another goat website 25cc of Milk of Magnesia or 30cc-60cc of oil but it didn't say whether it was mineral oil of vegetable oil. I wish I could ship my Debloat to you instantly [​IMG] How much oil did you give her?

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    She got about 1/2- 3/4C of oil. We don't have a drenching gun and weren't to the point of tubing when we gave it, so she just drank it... hope that will still work.

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Beth on TGS said to keep doing what your doing.....I'll [​IMG] for you

5. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    I keep going until you can see her sides return to normal, or hear her belching consistently on her own. One of the best things I have found after treating with bloat release/therabloat/mineral oil/gas x strips, is to elevate the front of the goat. Have her stand with her front feet up the stairs, or on a log, or on the stanchion with her back end down hill. Belly rubs in that position seem to be more productive here as well. After a few minutes I let the goat down, and walk around just a bit, and then go back to the elevated position.

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My husband just went to get some gas x since we really haven't seen any improvment yet.[​IMG]

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    When giving oil only use veg oil. Also you need to give probios after also to restore the bacteria in the rumin the oil kills. If you have goats you need to keep Therabloat or some type of Bloat release just for this. Yes Gas-X should help some. Sometimes with a full rumin they look kinda bloated, so I just check by pressing my hand on the left side of the flank to check the tightness of it. WHe its really bad they look like a baloon. I hope she is better. Did she eat something she isnt used to??? This sometimes causes bloat.

8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    She is the same this morning, blown up like a beach ball and just acting unhappy. I did give her some probios last night along with all the other stuff (baking soda, gas x, veg. oil). I have no idea what could have caused it as we haven't changed feeds and as far as I know, she hasn't gotten into anything.

9. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i heard giving some cd antitoxin not the toxoid, orally will help with bloat

10. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Good call Bluechip I forgot to add that...I would give her about 20cc's orally and see if that helps some. Getting the antitoxin is hard sometimes and you have to almost order it from Jeffers or somewhere you get your neds. You might even have to call a vet to see if they have it. I keep a larger bottle on hand all the time. If you do have it give her 20 cc's in a shot also.it wont hurt her but just might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by