bloated adult hen

citykids

Hatching
5 Years
May 19, 2014
I have a 3yr old New Hampshire Red hen that was acting lethargic, going off alone. Initially I thought an impacted egg, and we gave her a warm water soak, yogurt, vitamins. Then a second hen showed the same signs. After reading threads on here I decided they have coccidiosis and I bought some Corid to start treating them (and the other 6 in my flock). Yesterday morning, day 4 of treatment, she came right out of the coop and was foraging with the flock. I thought, great she's doing better. But she is still REALLY bloated, and again yesterday afternoon was by herself again. My husband intercepted the rooster holding her head down and pecking her. I know they'll single out a sick bird. Can something else be going on with her? Can she have impacted eggs AND coccidiosis? The other hen seems to be doing "okay." She still spends some time alone as well as time with the flock. They don't seem to want to pick on her (but is she next?).
Is 5 days the suggested treatment with Corid or should I go longer? And what to do about her bloated tummy? She feels like she's going to pop!

So signs both hens have shown:
isolation (completely alone or with each other separate from the rest)
hunched appearance
diarrhea and poop all around their bottoms (anal areas do not look to be clogged)
lethargic
combs drooping and pale

the second hen with symptoms does not appear to have the bloated belly. Both have maintained an appetite so despite other symptoms they are not failing to thrive

thank you for any advice

hadn't heard of this, thanks for mentioning it. I read an article about it to familiarize myself with the condition. From what I read there is nothing I can do for her IF this is what she has. ??

I really have no good advice. We had two hens. (both 3-yr old RIRs). One died in March - we don't necessarily know why, but she had nasty diarrhea, pale drooping comb, listlessness. Soon after she died, our remaining hen got sick with similar symptoms. Well, her comb is fine. Second hen was diagnosed (by the vet) with a stuck egg. That was about a month ago (an she'd been sick a couple of weeks before that). I was worried we had something catching, but our new hen (added to be a companion for the one remaining) is doing fine. This seems to happen more than you'd think? I personally am wondering if it is some sort of tumor my current hen has? She has a very swollen abdomen. Good luck with your girls!

If her belly is bloated, it does sound like egg peritonitis. Going off on her own is what some of them do when they are sick. I wish I would know why the 2nd hen is looking ill, too.

thanks everyone. I'm not sure what else I can do for her. She is still eating and drinking and doesn't appear to be in pain. I just don't know how long she can go like this. The second hen still has a droopy comb, but spends at least part of the day foraging with the flock now so I'm hoping she is on the mend.

She died the day after my last post.
sad.png
My other girl is still hanging in there. Her comb continues to droop, she isn't completely isolating herself from the flock but she is definitely always bringing up the rear and sometimes doesn't bother to keep up. I've been giving her an antibiotic, thinking maybe it's something else or in addition to coccidiosis. It's been about 5 days on an antibiotic. She doesn't appear any worse, but no better either. Maybe she's just getting old, although she isn't even 3 yet

Back
Top Bottom