1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloated and With Poop Surrounding Vent....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ElioraImmanuel, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    My DD just brought in a chicken. She's bloated and her vent is surrounded by poop. Any ideas?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Do you have any pictures??? It could possibly be Vent Gleet (its a chicken yeast infection) My hen had this and I treated her and she got better. Here is what you do.

# Separated her

# Flushed her system by putting 1/4 cup of molasses in a gallon of water and let her drink it for 6 hours. (you will only do this once because it takes the good and bad nutrients out of her immune system) After 6 hours put her back with the others.

# Build it back up by giving her a Tbs. of Greek Yogurt or plain yogurt a day (Which gave her good Bacteria)

# Boiled eggs in her feed every so often gave her good protein

After I flushed her system I put her back with the others. I did the yogurt for about two weeks and she was almost back normal. I continued this treatment until she was all better.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    How do I post a pic?

How do I flush her?

4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  5. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    Thanks so much. Epsom salt, on board. Probiotics on board. Praying for positive results!

6. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by