1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloated baby/trouble breathing.. Help please.. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Necklace, May 20, 2016.

1. Necklace

Necklace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Hello.. I have a two week old Turken Baby chick.. over the past few days I have noticed that her breathing is very labored and her whole body moves when she does.. Her belly is also looking and feeling very bloated. when I hold her I can feel her almost leaning back because it.. I took a video of her I have never raised a Truken from a chick.. she is an incubator baby also.

Please help.. If there is something I can do to help with this.. She is drinking medicated water and eating chick starter food.. nothing else.. when she does go to the bathroom it is really watery with little peices of food in it.. almost like she is not processing it well.. I have also tryed making a mash out of the chick food and the medicated water.. she seems to like it but I do not know how to help her with her breathing and bloating.. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she have any air under her skin like a balloon, that could be a leaking air sac from an injury? That can cause labored breathing, clicking during a breath, and can be removed with a needle inserted just under the skin. If it is not that, then she may have some other internal problem with her digestive tract or absorbing her food. Does she have any swelling around her umbilicus or belly button?

1 person likes this.
  3. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    I do not see any air pockets.. and the swelling is her entire back end.. it does not look like any external infection that I can see.. it is all internal swelling.. would giving her a warm water rub down on her belly help any.. when I was looking at her belly again and pushing a little on it she did go to the bathroom.. could it just be a backup?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could be constipated. I was wondering if she could have omphalitis or mushy chick disease, but being backed up would have a much better outcome. A few drops of molasses could help stimulate her to poop.

1 person likes this.
  5. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    Molasses? never would have though of that.. I will give it a try and keep my fingers crossed..

6. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    I took a better look at her last night and I did notice an air pocket on the right side at the bottom of her neck.. it was a good size.. I used an insulin needle to try and get it out... and I also noticed that when she breaths.. if I hold her up to my ear it sounds like she has a cold.. it is wet sounding almost like it is coming from her nose. I am not sure.. she is so small and her skin is so transparent.. I know she does not have many feathers but my other turken hens there skin is not so thin. I know she still a baby so it might be normal for her breed..

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Were you able to get any air out with the insulin needle? They are 27 gauge I think, and that may be too small. The literature says to use 18 gauge, and I have used a 22 gauge on a little chick. The air can be pressed out after uncturing the skin with the needle, and it can be common for it to come back. I would hold the needle puncture site for several minutes afterward to try to seal up the hole after removing the air.

8. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    ok.. I will check her over again and see if it has come back.. it seemed to get most of it with the insulin needle.. took a few tries though.. if it is back I will go to the depot shop and get a larger gauge.. I just hate to see her having so much trouble breathing.

9. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    She is dead... Thank you for the advice.. I think I give up on trying to hatch any other turken babies. [​IMG]

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am sorry to hear of your loss.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by