Bloated belly please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhd077, Oct 7, 2011.

1. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I have a white leg horn chicken that is a little over a year old. I went out in the coop this morning and she was walking weird like a pengin ( with her butt to the ground) and he belly looks all bloated up. She also had some poop stuck to her butt, but not blocking her vent. I brang her in the house and gave her a warm bath. I rubbed her bell some when she was in the bath, but i didn't fell any hard egg like mass. Is she egg bound? I have her in a box inside. she is drinking....should i give her food? can i give her layer or no?

2. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Hi, I looked in my chicken health hand book and it sounds like either colibacillosis (E-Coli) or Lymphoid Leukosis (Big liver disease)

Colibacillosis symptoms:In mature Hens: Cessation of laying, Upright penguin-like posture, death within 6 months(salpingitis)

Lymphoid Leukosis symptoms:in birds over 6 months: death without symptoms or pale shriveled comb, loss of appetite, diarrhea, emaciation, weakness:sometimes bluish comb, vent feathers spotted with white(urates)or breen(bile):sometimes you can feel enlarged kidney, cloacal bursa,liver or nodular tumors through skin
    in hens: reduced egg production,enlargrd abdomen,loose droppings

of course I hope it's neither.

Colibacillosis can be treated with antibiotics if started early. It also said keep the bird warm and fed with a high protein ration an a vitamin E supplement

Lymphoid Leukosis-according to this book there is no treatment

Hope this helps and good luck

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi redhd077,

The bloated abdomen isn't a good thing. I'm not sure what's going on and I'm not an expert, but it does sound like (with the penguin walk) she could be egg bound. However the bloating could also be something called ascites (which is fluid in the cavity due to organ failure), or it could be infection, or it could be a range of other issues.

I think she sounds in serious pain. I would try feeding her light foods (e.g. mashed grain with a little soured milk or yoghurt, grated carrot etc) and keep her in a dim room so her laying system starts to shut down for a while. Warm baths may help if it's egg binding. If she doesn't improve soon, perhaps this is a case for the vet. Personally I probably wouldn't give antibiotics, as they won't help ascites (if it is that) and they'll only have a short term effect on egg-yolk peritonitis (if it is that), but perhaps a vet would feel otherwise.

Whatever is happening, it would be cruel to let it drag on too long.
    I hope it's a passing thing. Sorry I can't help more.
    Erica

4. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I am really hoping she is just egg bound. I am going to give her another bath and a little something to eat. I hate not knowing what is going on. The rest of the flock seem fine.

5. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    According to Dale Gamerows "The Chicken health handbook"

Broiler Ascites:
    Also called-ascites with right ventral failure,ARVF,dropsy,water belly

Incidence-common worldwide,especially in winter at high altitudes

System/organ effected-heart

Symptoms- in male broilers 4 to 7 weeks old:ruffled feathers,slow growth,reluctance to move;sometimes sudden death

percentage affected-low

Mortality-up to 30 percent

Postmortum findingsDark red muscles:thick straw-colored fluid in abdominal cavity;liver swollendiscolored,and sometimes mottled or pimpled(early stage)or small and pale with rounded edges(later stage);bloddy lungs;distended right side of heart

resembles-salt poisoining

6. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    We ended up having to put her down. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by