Bloated Chick - Really Scared - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jmurcks, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Hey everyone...
    I have a little chick, probably 2 weeks old.
    I noticed this morning he was walking funny, almost like a splay leg chick and when I picked him up he is way bloated!
    He feels like he is going to pop... I checked his little bum and no blockage and he just acts like he can't get around.

What do I need to do and what could be going on?
    They are on med. feed and have had no other treats.
    They always have clean water, as well.
    He did not feel like this last night when I cleaned their brooder, (9 pm or so)
    He is also in with 9 other chicks.

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Can anyone help or has anyone heard of this?
    Thanks!

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmmm, sometimes they do have fat little bums but no difficulty walking. So he's on a chick starter? Does it say starter mix on the bag?

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Force it to drink a little water, & later, if that didn't make it have a bowel movement, hold a warm wet washcloth over the vent. this may help. Good luck.

5. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Oh yeah, it is stuff I got from Tractor Supply, Manna Pro Medicated Crumbles.

The reason I noticed him is he has his little legs stuck to the side like a splay leg chick and was walking, well, like a crab or something.
    When I picked him up I noticed he is HUGE. He looks like a golf ball or something and the other chicks still look normal.

I really hate to loose one, I am very attached to them, which I know is probably not the thing to do to such youngins but I can't help it!
    He is making discomfort noises, grunts and such but isn't screaming out in pain or anything.

6. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:I read about molasses on here about a constipated adult chicken, do you think that would for for a chick?
    Thanks!

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sounds like it may be eating more than it's passing.
    I'd say try the molasses, but in a very small amount.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
  8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I think birdaholic has the right idea. Do you have a little dropper for the water? Be careful not to aspirate it.

9. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I just kept dipping his little beak in water until he drank a pretty good bit.
    I also tried the wet warm washcloth thing, (whew, so many w's) and I noticed his little bum is moving up and down a lot.
    I haven't had a chance to get to Wal-Mart for the molasses, yet.
    He is just laying around a bit... I don't know how he got so huge overnight! His little wings are even sticking out he is so puffed up...
    Is it anything I did or didn't do to make this happen?? I don't want to hurt the others, too!

Thanks everyone!

10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    He does kind of sound constipated with the bum moving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by