Bloated Chick

RogerTheChicken

Songster
6 Years
May 17, 2014
Help today when I picked up one of my buff Orpington chicks her whole left side was bloated and it felt like a water ballon. She is 1 month old. Is this bad?

I just had the same thing happen to a 4 week old chick of mine, and it was a leaking air sac as the link that Casportpony listed. It can be from a chest or neck injury, but sometimes from infection. If it is large and causing problems, you can clean the area with iodine and puncture it with a 18-22 gauge needle, and press the air out, then hold it gently. It may need to be repeated later, but if the chick is alert, drinking and not in distress, I would leave it alone. My chick's was getting larger and he was clicking with his respirations.

I just had the same thing happen to a 4 week old chick of mine, and it was a leaking air sac as the link that Casportpony listed. It can be from a chest or neck injury, but sometimes from infection. If it is large and causing problems, you can clean the area with iodine and puncture it with a 18-22 gauge needle, and press the air out, then hold it gently. It may need to be repeated later, but if the chick is alert, drinking and not in distress, I would leave it alone. My chick's was getting larger and he was clicking with his respirations.
How is your chick doing?

-Kathy

He regained some of the air, but it didn't get any bigger. This afternoon I put him in the coop with Mom and siblings, and he joined right in scratching for treasures. She usually has the others outside and all over the property all day long. He is far from normal, but I really want her to raise him. I will re-evaluate him first thing in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom