Bloated chicken? Advice needed

NatureHouse17

Chirping
Aug 2, 2018
Romania
Hello,
My one year old Polish chicken hasn't been feeling like herself for a week. She lacks appetite and stays isolated from the flock more than usual. She's quite happy to get out of the coop and wander around in the morning but lacks the energy she once had. Her crop is no longer full and eats very little. I think her abdomen is distended; it feels bloated. She's been laying eggs, so I would rule out egg bound.
How could I check better? I would say there's fluid inside (and I'm afraid it could be ascites) but, to be honest, I don't know how this chicken breed should have its abdomen. If any of you has Polish chickens, could you let me know how it should feel? They have a more elongated body, so I'm wondering if they don't have a different belly shape too.
I will take her temperature as well.
Could some Epsom drench help in any way to flush? Also, assuming that she's bloated, I'm tempted to give her some simeticone. Haven't found any information about using this drug in birds, though.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

My Polish are much less round and poofy than my other breeds. If she feels bloated, she probably is. But she's laying, so that's a good sign.

I'm bumping this thread to see what others have to say.

My Polish are much less round and poofy than my other breeds. If she feels bloated, she probably is. But she's laying, so that's a good sign.

I'm bumping this thread to see what others have to say.
Alright, thanks. Took her temperature - 42.3C. Range is 40.6-43C, but still, seems a little high. She ate a bit but she's lethargic. Wonder if I should start tube feeding... Hunched posture and tail down. She's isolated from the flock right now, so I can keep an eye on her. Still chirping and flapping wings if I try to move her around, so that's a good sign.

Alright, thanks. Took her temperature - 42.3C. Range is 40.6-43C, but still, seems a little high. She ate a bit but she's lethargic. Wonder if I should start tube feeding... Hunched posture and tail down. She's isolated from the flock right now, so I can keep an eye on her. Still chirping and flapping wings if I try to move her around, so that's a good sign.
What's her poop like? With that posture, you might consider treating for coccidiosis. It's easy and won't hurt if that's not what's failing her.

Honestly, ever would be best, if possible. They can get xrays and let you know about her abdomen.

Greenish but normal consistency. My chickens are free range so the colour is understandable. Symptoms don't necessarily match with the coccidosis ones, but I'll give it a go as you said.
Vets in the area don't take avian patients... They don't have much experience with birds so they usually just guess when treating them and go for broad spectrum antibiotics.
If she doesn't have fever, I would rule out a bacterial infection and, therefore, antibiotics wouldn't be effective.

Just a little update. Did some more research, changed my mind and started amoxicilin treatment. Fed her with the tube yesterday. I decided to perform a paracentesis since I suspected she has ascites. No fluid coming out, but a thick, yellowish jelly. Doesn't look like pus... Couldn't remove much since is too thick to be removed with the needle. Any ideas what it could be?
Second day of antibiotics and she looks better. Posture is improved and looks brighter. We'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom