Bloated chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aissak, Jan 24, 2013.

1. aissak

aissak Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Niantic Illinois
    My poor hen is extremely bloated. She drinks some and attempted to eat some berries this morning, but shapes her had each time she eats. Can't see anything down her throat, isn't pooping so I am afraid she has eaten some styrafoam which fell in the barn and she has a blockage.

read about giving them epsom salt flush or molasses flush - has anyone done this with any success.

2. wantbantams

wantbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    Is she bloated with air? How can you tell that she is bloated? If you are worried about the no pooping, I did the epsom salt on one of my girls and it worked out very well.

3. aissak

Jan 2, 2013
    Niantic Illinois
    She now is having difficulty breathing as well, i tried to get some Epsom salts fluid in her but it appeared to make her uncomfortable. I am thinking we will have to put her down.

4. wantbantams

Apr 14, 2012
    I am so sorry. You could try ACV and see if that helps at all. It has always helped my girls.

5. thomas885

thomas885 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    So sorry for you just lost one of my own:(:p:p

6. aissak

Jan 2, 2013
    Niantic Illinois
    What is ACV?

7. wantbantams

Apr 14, 2012
    Apple cider vinegar with the mother (non-filtered). It is magic :)

8. aissak

Jan 2, 2013
    Niantic Illinois
    Thanks- We have no one in our area who treats or raises chickens to give me advice. This is the only place where I feel like I can figure out how to do things. I have read 3 books but get frustrated without advice of those with experience. I really do enjoy my chickens and want to care for them in the best way possible.

9. aissak

Jan 2, 2013
    Niantic Illinois
    Had to put her down, she had a type of cancer in her belly. so sad, she was my favorite

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by