Bloated crop & bloody poop- coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzannaski, Jul 28, 2010.

1. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Hi
    I've already lost one chick. They are about 2-3 weeks old. They started getting bloody stools, and I asked my grain guy about it, and he said I needed medicated feed. I thought I already had it, but apparently he made an executive decision and gave me unmedicated. Whatever, I'm not going to get side tracked on idiots, I just want to cure my babies.
    This is day 4, and the first one that got lethargic was a little better after two days of syringe feeding the medicated food and water. The second one to get sick died yesterday. The remaining three all are lethargic, have poofy crops, and bloody poop. Not orangey, it looks like they are menstruating instead of pooping. They fluff up their feathers as if they are cold.
    The chick that was getting better is a bit lethargic again, but has only minor symptoms.
    Should I just keep giving them water & medicated feed with a syringe? I don't want to burst their crops! Ugh!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my! So sorry to hear this! Coccidiosis is really deadly, and cannot be cured with medicated chick starter. Truthfully, medicated chick starter will not even prevent cocci. It helps only a little.....

What you need to do is go to the farm store, and get yourself some Corid. This can be mixed with their drinking water and is very effective. Corid is actually NOT an antibiotic. It is a coccidiostat--it will kill the cocci organisms (protozoa). They may also need an antibiotic because the cocci can cause some real serious irritation in the chicken's digestive system that can also lead to infections.....

This is something you need to do immediately.....and I sincerely hope [​IMG] that it's not too late for your babies......due to misinformation. The reason I know about this is that my chicks had cocci this year too....so I've been there.

With this year being so wet, and humid, it's an ideal breeding ground for the cocci. Chickens who have reached the age of 17 weeks usually have their own immunities built up, so this mainly effects chicks. So moisture, plus heat, plus poo = cocci. So be sure to keep their environment as clean and dry as possible. Their area will need to be disinfected too.......

So sorry you're going through this, and good luck to you!

Sharon

3. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Thanks- I'm calling right now!

4. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Getting selmid. Should I get electolytes too? Wish I had a siren for my car. Stuck in. Traffic

5. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have not heard of Selmid, as long as it's a coccidiostat, it'll work fine.....electrolites would be great!

6. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I hope that will work for you....I tried to google Selmid, but I didn't find anything.......crossing my fingers for ya!

7. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    It's sulmet. Store owner had Boston accent. LOL

8. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have heard of Sulmet.....that confuses me a bit because it's listed as an antibiotic, and for cocci, you need a coccidiostat, but the label does say Sulmet treats cocci, so I guess you're good to go! (These meds can be confusing!)[​IMG]

Let me know how your little chicks are doing!

Sharon

9. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    I've seen improvement in one of their poops already. [​IMG] (Spoken like a true mom)
    Had a slight heart attack when I returned with the medicine, because one of them was missing. Finally I picked up the half of concrete block on which I had put their waterer, and there she was! Didn't think they could fit under there.
    I syringed the med/electrolyte water into their beaks, but I was worried about how big their crops were getting, so I put the rest into the waterer. I'll be checking on them again at 1 pm EDST.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  10. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So they what is the floor of their brooder like? Is it something you can clean? When mine got the cocci, they were probably 8 week sold, and they were in a coop outside. I actually took mine back into the house brooder for about a week, and I had to pour bleach all over the soil in their coop, plus scrub all their feeders and waterers, before they could go back in. Pain in the tushy, but they all survived......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by