Block Dust aka Chat?

Momofthewild

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Does anyone know if block dust is safe to use as coop and run ground cover? It's also called Chat. I think essentially it's just ground up concrete or cinder block. It's so much cheaper than concrete sand. And it's gray instead of brown which I think would look a little nicer. Trying to get that accomplished today. I'd be super appreciative if someone could help.

I would hesitate to use that since the stuff might be too sharp. I also wonder about other cement ingredients being a bit toxic.

Where do you buy this?
Just at my local landscaping supply yard. They carry construction sand too so I think I'm just going to go with that instead. The block dust probably is way too dusty

I wouldn't take much of anything out of a hole. If its level with the other ground you are starting with big deal as compost is goingon top. It will just get worked in the mix. Get your tree service chips. Put them down 2" a week while adding as much or what you can of leaf litter, grass chippings, dirt, pine straw, hay...

Probably.
Sand is not a great choice for the run unless you live where it very dry....
....and like to scoop poop all the time.
I live in North East TN. What would you suggest then? I tried pine shavings. That did not go well. They got moldy.

Probably.
Sand is not a great choice for the run unless you live where it very dry....
....and like to scoop poop all the time.
Also, my run has a roof, in case that makes a difference. And I'm not going to have a huge run. Just an 8x8 so I don't think scooping will be that big of a deal. Of course I might be singing a different time later. I just don't want to have to worry about mold and too much stench.

Sand+poop+wet = Stench.
It's pretty hard to get all the poop out, eventually the sand becomes saturated with pulverized poops and..... :sick
YYMV.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
full

full

Same thing.....from wiki description I linked:
" RCW consists of the twigs and branches of trees and woody shrubs, preferably deciduous, including small limbs up to 7 cm. (23⁄4 in.) in diameter. It is processed into small pieces by chipping "

Is this the depth of hole? How big in diameter is it?
Does water ever come out of it?
If dry I guess I'd just leave it filled as is.
Yes that's the depth. It's probably about 4x4 wide I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom