Blocked Nose, abscess/warts on chickens face and comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dav0W, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Dav0W

Dav0W New Egg

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi everyone, I have a bantam australorp chicken who has had a blocked nose with very hard discharge for approx. 3 weeks. She very suddenly also had what looked like abscesses a few days ago on her face, comb and near her left eye. These have been drying up. She seems to have laboured breathing but otherwise seems ok. Can anyone please help me diagnose this issue? Thanks in advance

[​IMG][​IMG]

laboured breathing but otherwise seems ok. Can anyone please help me diagnose this issue? Thanks in advance

2. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    I am certainly no expert on chicken diseases, but that certainly looks like the pictures of fowlpox that I have seen.

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan

4. Dav0W

Dav0W New Egg

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks a lot for your quick replies, I've already had her seperated and added dolomite and cod liver oil to her food.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dolomite and cod liver oil serves no purpose in treating fowl pox. Give her buttermilk and scrambled egg mixed in layer feed to eat. The virus will go away on its own in about a months time. Look inside her mouth for lesions that would prevent her from swallowing food.

6. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You need to insulate the seek bird, clean the worth with alcohol
    You need to prevent secondary infection with 300 mg Terramycin per gallon (1 gram for 3 gallons) of drinking water for 3 days followed by vitamins supplement in water. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree that it looks like fowl pox. Dawg53 is right about there being no treatment for fowl pox, since it is a virus spread by mosquitoes that has to run it's course over 3-5 weeks. Her nostrils look crusty, and may be blocked. I would get to work on cleaning them in case they are blocked with scabs or dried food. Here is a link to read about fowl pox, and another on cleaning a blocked nostril:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html

8. Rowsdower

May 27, 2012
    With all of this mosquito talk it occurred to me that for much of the US it is NOT mosquito season. Where does the OP live and is fowlpox something that can lie dormant?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There looks to be long green grass in the OP's picture, so they may be in a warm climate. On BYC, we get posts from Australia, New Zealand, Phillippines, Guam, and Finland among other countries, so we never know where they are located. It always is helpful for people to include their local in their avatar or post.

10. Rowsdower

May 27, 2012
    You're right, I live in Ohio and my grass definitely doesn't look that good. Though to be fair, it never looks great with all of the dust bathing and hole digging. lol

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by