Blocked vent or belly button?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Clare207, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Clare207

Clare207 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland maine
    I just got my chicks 3 days ago (first time chicken owner) and I'm worried about my Red..I've cleaned her vent with warm wet paper towel . The vent seems cleaned but there's gunk below and I'm afraid to keep rubbing because I'm not sure what it is. Please help![​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Looks like dried poop in the picture---just use a q-tip wet the area----let it soak----wet it again in a few minutes----wet it again it should be soften up where the Q-tip will clean it right off. Then if it looks like a scab---leave it alone it should fall off.

1 person likes this.
  3. Clare207

Clare207 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland maine
    Thank you! She's been cleaned and it looks like there was a tiny scab so I gently dried her and she is back snuggling with her sisters

1 person likes this.
  4. Clare207

Clare207 New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland maine

5. kgwhisler

kgwhisler New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    I scraped the scab off and it drained a clear fluid, now it appears as though this was the belly button. Quite a bit of fluid drained. Will this make the chick dehydrated? I'm worried I will made her sick.

6. masmom

masmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2016
    East TN Mountains
    If you're concerned with dehydration, Sav-A-chick Electrolyte powder is great for new chicks and ill chickens. One small pack per 1 gallon of water. Or straight up Pedialyte. For now, I'd probably leave the navel alone, IF it were me. Hope all goes well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by