Blocked Vent? Prolapsed Chicken? Fourth day...

tofino

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Hello,

I am hoping you all can help me. On Thursday morning I went out to our coop to food/water our chickens and discovered that one of our pullets (about 7 months) had some blood on its rear. I think she had a prolapse as there was part of an egg stuck to her. I immediately brought her inside and washed her. It looked like her vent area was prolapsed based on some Internet searches so I began treatment:

1. Isolated her in our warm bathroom with a nightlight. She also has a crate with straw that she is using.
2. Gave her warm baths (2x/day)
3. Put honey on the exterior
4. Tried to push the prolapsed area back in (it just came back out though).
5. Giving her water with braggs vinegar in it.

She has been alert, walks around and was eating/drinking fine until today. She has also started oozing white excrement that is runny. I've continued giving her warm baths (she really seems to enjoy those) and she continues to talk, be alert, etc. I keep hoping that the warm baths will also dislodge the poop as I am really scared about tearing her delicate tissues (but it is really hard to tell if it's just crusted on poop or tissues I am pulling). I'm really worried though because it looks like she isn't pooping that much anymore and the exterior doesn't look like it's getting any better. Today, I stuck my finger up her vent to see if she was blocked but I didn't feel anything inside - just the walls and they seem perfectly fine.

I'm at a loss of what to do next. I've searched the forum and although there are some things that are similar they don't totally describe what I am seeing. I keep giving her warm baths and covering her vent with honey, but it doesn't look like it's getting any better. I wanted to attach some pictures, but apparently New Members can't post images right now because this forum is getting a lot of spam.

None of my other chickens (16 total) are having problems. They are all in a large 200 square foot clean coop with aspen shavings. They were free range, but about a month ago, we needed to lock them in the coop due to a bobcat coming around.

Thanks so much for your help,
Jenny

Last edited:
I have never dealt with prolapse, but I have heard of others using preparation H on the prolapse. Sometimes the swelling needs to go down before it is going to go back in. Be careful others don't pick on her as they can pick them til the intestines come out. Keep her warm also so she can heal. Sorry about your hen.
hugs.gif

It takes time to recover from a prolapse. Keep her separated, in a dark area to discourage laying, keep prolapse clean. I've had good luck using Prep H instead of honey. Sometimes the prolapse will go back in on its own after the swelling goes down.

I would keep in a dark place also you don`t want her laying untill she heals.If you have the money take her to the vet,if she has an egg in there and it breaks she will get infection.You are doing everything right,I have had two that prolapsed and they did ok .

Back
Top Bottom