Blocked Vent??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lunkerchicken, May 4, 2009.

1. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I recieved my chicks today, 4 RIR's and 4 Buff Orps. All look great except for one of the Buff Orps. He seems to be eating and drinking fine but has excess poop around his rear (vent?). I have seen him poop so he can go but he has been doing a lot of picking and pecking back there. As a precaution, I dunked his bottom in some warm water and gently cleaned the area. Should I have any concerns? Any suggestions?

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    You did the right thing.. now just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't happen again! [​IMG]

3. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    When you clean it put some vaseline around it, it will help to prevent in the future. Worked for my chicks!!

4. lunkerchicken

Thanks for the advice. I will go put some vasoline on now.

5. lunkerchicken

The whole butt thing looked good for a day and now it seems to have returned on the same chick. I have seen the chick poop a few times, so stuff is passing but she keeps pecking around back there and some of her fluff is missing. Also, the vent area looks swollen?!?!? HELP!! I continue to dunk her bottom in warm water and clean gently, then apply some vasoline. Any other advice than what I am doing. The chick appears to be drinking, eating and running around just fine and has not been isolated by the remaining 7 chicks so I am not sure how long I should let this go on for. Is there any medicated ointment that can be applied? There doesn't appear to be any hard poo stuck to her bottom - it just looks red and swollen - yikes.
    [​IMG]

6. lunkerchicken

I forgot to mention I do have a local feed store that carries quite a few chicken items, perhaps they have something there???

7. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    you have them too hot
    lower the temp in brooder give ventilation also
    put olive oil on the rear end of the chick
    mix 1 cup of play school sand in 1 gallon of crumbles
    feed this and will do away with the pasty rear

8. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    The easiest remedy I have found is: keep the area clean, dab olive oil on the area (helps soothe and keeps from sticking). Grind up regular dry oatmeal in a food processor or something and add it to their medicated food. Works wonderfully for me and no more pastey butt!!!!

9. lunkerchicken

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try them out ASAP!

10. lunkerchicken

Can I apply neosporin to the area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by