1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blocking Horses from new plantings

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by toletiquesbysam, Apr 20, 2009.

1. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    We're putting some trees up in our pasture, they will be on the north end of it and are fast growing. This will be about a 2year project until they have established themselves enough to maybe be opened to the horses. I need to find a good temporary solution to blocking them off from the horses. There are 50 trees, and it will be about a 225ft long area to block. What would you suggest?? Thank You!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Electric would be the simplest thing. Use metal t-posts WITH CAPS WIRED ON, and 3 or 4 strands of electric rope, and make sure it is carrying good charge. Put the fence far enough from the trees that they're not tempted to lean over or thru; you may have to mow just the other side of the fence if the horses get very grass-minded in late summer. If it's not convenient to run it off existing electric, get a decent quality battery-operated charger and use that.

There are other options but they are mostly unsafe/ineffective, or very expensive.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Thank You Pat!! I've copied and printed it for DH to read so I can make sure we get it correct!! We have no power to that area so we will have to get the battery powered ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by