Bloddy vent

ChicksNBoys

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
Ridgecrest, Ca
So my son came in and told me one of our girls had a bloody butt and the other chickens were pecking at here. I went out and this is what I found.

Yesterday we had an egg coated with blood but I didn’t see any problems with any of the girls. She hasn’t laid today and I’m wondering what could be the problem and what I should do??

I have removed her from the others and have used a saline rinse to try and clean the area but she keeps bleeding. I think I may need to bathe her but I have never done it before.

I did monitor her for a bit and she looks like she is trying to poop but only a little bit of milky substance drains.

Attachments

• 54B5BEA5-727A-4845-B81D-4EE57FB792AF.jpeg
    54B5BEA5-727A-4845-B81D-4EE57FB792AF.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 931C1952-06E9-49DB-9A87-B2A296E91CEF.jpeg
    931C1952-06E9-49DB-9A87-B2A296E91CEF.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 8
  • FA27593C-6702-4396-AA59-961ACF6988F2.jpeg
    FA27593C-6702-4396-AA59-961ACF6988F2.jpeg
    507.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 4DD2042D-9778-4CFA-A1A6-823D344649C9.jpeg
    4DD2042D-9778-4CFA-A1A6-823D344649C9.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 8
Yikes! I am not familiar with the proper procedure for this type of scenario. Just wanted to comment on hopes of bumping this thread up for more experienced members to see. There are many existing posts referencing bloody, swollen vents and how to treat them on here that you could read if you are feeling concerned or frantic.

Best of luck and I hope your girl gets well soon!

So my son came in and told me one of our girls had a bloody butt and the other chickens were pecking at here. I went out and this is what I found.

Yesterday we had an egg coated with blood but I didn’t see any problems with any of the girls. She hasn’t laid today and I’m wondering what could be the problem and what I should do??

I have removed her from the others and have used a saline rinse to try and clean the area but she keeps bleeding. I think I may need to bathe her but I have never done it before.

I did monitor her for a bit and she looks like she is trying to poop but only a little bit of milky substance drains.
How is she?
Looks like the vent has been injured by picking.
Keep it clean and spray it vetericyn or apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Was she able to poop at all? Lay an egg?

How much space do you have in your coop/run?
What do you feed?

Vent picking can often be due to limited space and bored birds. It can become a chronic problem, so monitor behavior and determine what is going on in your flock - if you need to add more space/reduce the number of birds you have, make changes to feed, etc.

She could have had a prolapse vent and another has been pecking it. Check for mites on all your birds. They start picking at vents alot of times with mites.
Another possibility is egg bound to check for.

I would start by searching those on here.

So she has definitely gotten pecked and that created the wound but I believe the main problem is that she is eggbound. She has been trying to lay since yesterday. I just soaked her in epsom salt and felt the egg. She has been trying to lay but can’t. She has been pooping but not a ton. Just a little at a time.

I would give her calcium - if you have Calcium with D3 that would be good, give her a whole tablet. If not, TUMS will work.
Keep her hydrated, encourage her to drink.

When you feel the egg - are you feeling inside the vent or on the outside below the vent?

I would give her calcium - if you have Calcium with D3 that would be good, give her a whole tablet. If not, TUMS will work.
Keep her hydrated, encourage her to drink.

When you feel the egg - are you feeling inside the vent or on the outside below the vent?
I gave her a tums last night and some water with electrolytes in it. She won’t resume drink. She did eat though. I had to go into her vent to feel the egg. Not far maybe an inch.

Is she pooping at all?
If she won't drink but will eat, offer a little wet soupy feed. Watery treats like watermelon or cucumber might be enticing too.

Is she still bleeding at all?

Is she pooping at all?
If she won't drink but will eat, offer a little wet soupy feed. Watery treats like watermelon or cucumber might be enticing too.

Is she still bleeding at all?I

Is she pooping at all?

Is she still bleeding at all?
She is still bleeding but much less. I was able to get her wound to stop bleeding which was the main source of blood in the above pictures and now the little bit of blood that she has is coming from within her vent. Could damage from an egg on Friday be causing swelling now and blood when she tries to push? The egg from Friday was covered but I have had that in the past with other chickens and no problems with future laying.

I was just with her, adding vaseline all around and within her vent to see if that helps. When I insert my finger she definitely tries to push the egg out but she seems swollen. The egg is making its way further out than it did yesterday when I insert my finger. it also feels quite gritty but I don't know if it is scabbing because of her egg on Friday. The grittyness is a white/yellowish color. Could she have a gleet problem too?? 🤦🏻‍♀️😢

She is pooping, just not a ton, small pieces at a time. She has drunk a little more but I may syringe some to help. Her crop this morning felt pretty hard/doughy but I gave her coconut oil and massaged it in hopes to get things moving through.

She is so tired and I feel so bad for her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom