Blog Post on my Chook Compound

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by evanbb, Jun 5, 2010.

1. evanbb

evanbb Hatching

Jan 17, 2010
    Hi Chicken fans,

I've just completed a way over-engineered chook run and shed. I've put the design and construction notes into a blog post, which is here
    http://tinyurl.com/3alcfj8

Comments appreciated either here or on the blog.

Happy Chickening!

EB

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Nice. I really like that tunnel. Thinking that may work for something I'm working on

3. Liana

Liana Songster

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    Oh, well done! I particularly like your dressing table -> nest boxes. Ingenious! [​IMG]

4. calista

calista Songster

Jan 27, 2010
    Ingenious use of recycled materials and a great basic design! I, too, like the idea of a tunnel and would appreciate your telling us how you dismantle it to clean it up inside when necessary -- is it composed of pieces that come apart?

Good job! Your birds should be safe and content. [​IMG]

5. evanbb

evanbb Hatching

Jan 17, 2010
    Tunnel:

SInce it's only beem operating for a month or so, I haven't had to clean it yet. I thought long and hard about making it so I could take it apart to get a chook out or clean it, but in the end just nailed it all together.

I'm not too worried about it getting dirty as the rain should keep tha in check. Having a chook stuck in there is a bit of a concern, but since I know how it went together, I could get it apart pretty quickly too.

In hindsight it would probably best be done with a lid that comes off, but by that stage I wanted to finish so badly I decided that sort of modification could wait.

EB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by