1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Blond Rhode Island Blonds???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jmc, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Hi!

I ordered 7 RIR pullet chicks.
    1 is positively blond-a gorgeous 10 week old; another is like her but a bit darker than blond. The other five are the 'standard' rust red.
    G. Damerow in her book tells of the so called pure NH Reds she got that started laying brown AND WHITE AND BLUE eggs. So she cautions about so called pure bred birds. Could it be that these two blonds have a non RIR in their ancestry? Or is such a color variation normal?
    They come from a truly reputable hatchery, I must add.

Bless you

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Are you sure that they arent buff orps or buff rocks? A hatchery could easily get chicks mixed up or orders mixed up.
    With chickens anything is possible, I got yellow legged chicks from blue and white legged mating.
    Can you post pics?

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    My New Hampshire reds are all pretty light in color that is the standard for the breed, you may have these ?? .

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is a New Hampshire pullet chick-look anything like that?
    [​IMG]

5. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    As soon as I can figure out how to put pics on the BYC forum, I'll def. post pics!

6. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
  7. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Thanks Tracy

I've uploaded the pictures, don't know where they went though; and don't know if they're big enough to tell much.

I went into the Breeds in General subsection, did the uploads, got out of uploads mode, and posted this message. Pics not seen though in the Breeds in General section.

Hopefully I learn, but apparently the uploads went through

8. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    You'll have to open the uploads in a seperate window. Then click on the get info for the pic you want. Click in the "img" code box and copy the link. Then paste the link into the post you're creating in the other window. Hope that makes sense.

9. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    [​IMG]

Let's hope this works and is legible.

10. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Whaddya know?

But the pic is way too small. Anyway, the real blond, Violet is in the back here, the lesser blond, Beautiful is in the front. A bigger image would've been good. Maybe I'll try Photobucket in future

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by