blonde quail chick.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sjaved789, Feb 23, 2014.

1. sjaved789

sjaved789 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    London City
    Hi guys. I recently hatched some chicks from my adult Japanese quail and somehow I have a blonde chick. She.looks like a mini chicken chick. Any ideas what colour she will be? I dont think she is texas quail because her parents and grandparents are standard Japanese.

2. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Sounds like a recessive gene to me. I get an occasional white chick from my girls as well, but only raise Jumbo Brown Coturnix.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

This question gets asked at least once a week. The advanced search button on this forum will answer almost any question you could have about quail. Brown (pharaoh) colored coturnix quail often carry a recessive white gene. When you cross A&M (white quail) with pharaohs the resulting offspring will be mixed brown and white. If you took those brown offspring and crossed them with another brown bird of the same genetics, pow, white quail.

Texas quail as you call them are just regular plain old coturnix. People like to think they are different, but a true A&M quail is just a jumbo white coturnix.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. sjaved789

sjaved789 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    London City

Lol sorry. I did search white quail and found results for only texas quail and I assumed they were a different species. I am learning something new everyday thanks

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

No worries. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by