Blood and brown thing in egg!

Kfarm

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2018
So I cracked open eggs for breakfast and lost my appetite. The last egg was full of blood and has a horrible brown mass in it too. No roosters at all so it can't be an embryo. I was thinking it was a bad blood clot? It looks like a piece of liver to me tho, very brown. I have been having a problem with roundworms, haven't medically treated this flock-can that be an issue? Gross help

IMG_2773.JPG
IMG_2772.JPG
Forgot to add pics

Has anyone else had this tho? I know about meat spots but this brown thing is the size of my thumb (first knuckle).

Not an expert, and hopefully someone w/ more experience may chime in, but the way the chicken's egg tract is, it can't be a part of the liver. They're 2 separate systems that meet at the very end after the egg is fully formed. I agree w/ granny hatchet that it may be 'meat' but that's an awful lot of blood. Are these new layers? Any idea which chicken laid the egg? If so, I'd check if she seems sick or having any problems. I'd also consider candling any other eggs you have to see if there may be others with this inside. I have no experience w/ roundworms so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this.

I've had an egg like that twice, different birds, long time between them. Never happened to the same bird again, one I know for sure was just coming into lay, so I just put it down to a glitch in the system. Meat spots can be fairly good sized on occasion. Unless you see it again, it's probably nothing to worry about. I never crack my eggs directly into a recipe anymore, but into a separate bowl first, so on the rare occasion something yucky is found I haven't ruined my whole batch of whatever. :sick If it happens again then I would look for another cause.

I have had small meat spots or pieces of tissue in eggs, as well as bloody eggs. My welsummer that had the occasional bloody egg eventually started laying bloody eggs every time due to some problem with her oviduct. Then after several weeks, she stopped laying permanently.
Hopefully, this is just a temporary glitch in her laying apparatus, snd not something permanent. Hopefully, if you share eggs, you can tell her eggs apart from others’.

Back
Top Bottom