Blood and feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Locuck, May 12, 2010.

1. Locuck

Locuck New Egg

May 9, 2010
    Hey all just needed to ask a Question, i know ive seen this question on here before but couldnt find it today,

My chickens are about 4 weeks old and i still have them on starter feed 19% protein, they eat the feathers off of each others backs and have had 2 now that have been eaten bloody i seperate them out from the flock for a day or two till they heal up and let them back into the flock. today i was watching them before goin to work and its mostely just 2 birds that are doing the bloody pecking once on starts then the others of course join in. so i put the one doing the most damage in chicken jail for the night. im thinking they're needing a vitamin or something.

Any clues, or ideas they are white Leghorns all hens i think cant exactly tell yet at 4 weeks.

Thanks
    Locuck

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If feather picking is the problem then the chickens are usually lacking protein. Additional protein in the form of catfood (in small amounts), hard-boiled eggs and yogurt can be added to improve any deficiency. For the picked on birds- cover any wounded areas with Blukote spray to aid in healing and to prevent further picking from the sight of the blood. You may also try applying pine tar which is great for deterring feather picking. I will warn you that pine tar is a disgusting mess to work with, but is very effective at stopping the picking.

Food for thought- do your birds have enough space? Sometimes picking starts when they are too crowded in their coop/run. And finally- could they be bored? There are several things you can do to alleviate boredom in chickens. Hanging a head of cabbage in their run is usually good for a couple hours at the very least. Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Good luck.

3. Locuck

Locuck New Egg

May 9, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions CMV i am planing on increasing the size of the run its 6 x 8 planing on making another 10 x 10 for a day time run , i tossed in some fruit and veggies yesterday for them, still dont have any blue-kote im going to Big R Monday ill get me some then.

im still improving lots of things on my coop they dont have a proper roost ill try some cat food tonight and hope things improve.

Thanks
    Locuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by