Blood around vent area What should I do? Graphic pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MMPoultryFarms, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    So this chicken business never seems to amaze me Theres always something new popping up today I noticed some white things under my cochins neck they look like large white eggs. (this is a new bird from an auction still on quarinteen.) So I checked his vent to see if perhaps the white knits were lice or mites. Well to my suprise this is what I found. [​IMG] anyone know what could be wrong or what I could do to help him I dont want to lose him I had to bid the roof for him.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger 10 Years

Well, if he has a lot of lice & mites, they could be around the vent area, and it itches, and if he's scratching that area a lot it could aggravate his vent.... looks like part of his vent is inflamed and protruding. i would dust him for mites really well, worm him and keep an eye on the vent. If it protrudes more you can apply some hemorrhoid cream to it, to try and shrink it back up..... other than this, I am at a loss....

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I have no idea if there actually mites And you hit it on the head that is a bump that looks inflamed perhaps it is mites. I will wait for a few more replys as I have put him under a bright light and I see nothing crawling and no egg like things around the vent only under his waddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by