blood as poo!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scrabbles, Feb 19, 2012.

1. scrabbles

scrabbles New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    the chicken i am worried about is called acorn and is almost four. she lives in a coop that has shelter, food,drink,a 'garden' and a dust bath. the coop has room for about 20 chickens but we only keep 4 in there. the chickens are all different breeds. (acorn-rode island red, dib-dab a swallowtailed warren, truffle a speckeled tailed warren and bramble a bournevelder) acorn has a limp but has had that for most of her life so i am not worried about that.

acorn has blood oozing out of her vent and no poop. i am very worried about her as she wasnt eating as much as she usually does this weekend. is this enternal bleeding or mites or somthing that will pass!
    acorn is my fav chicken as she survived a fox attack and being terriorized by the nabours!!

thanks in advance

ps
    i have alread cleaned her vent with warm water and a sponge so it wont attract flies or lice[​IMG]

2. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Can you see where the blood is coming from? Have you seen her pooh at all recently? have you checked for prolapse?Is it still bleeding now? Are you up to date on worming and are the others showing any sympyoms? Sorry for all the questions - If she is still bleeding you will need to separate her or the others will peck at her causing real injury or even death. Could the blood be from an injury or do you feel it is an internal problem?
    I am no expert but if it's internal I would probably make a visit to the vet.Good Luck and I hope Acorn makes a full recovery

1 person likes this.
  3. scrabbles

scrabbles New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    thanks
    i cant see a cut or anything like that so i think it is internal. but thanks for the advice i will talk to my dad and see when we can take her to the vet thanks again!!!

oh and whats prolapse?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    One of my chickens actually spewed red blood with the coccidiosis he had. Within a day of treatment it stopped and I kept treating him for another 4. Most of my cocci victims don't even have bloody stool, so it was suprising that he spewed bright red blood.

5. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Basically a prolapse is the birds insides hanging out the vent- can be caused by straining when laying an egg. it needs to be dealt with quickly- the other birds will be attracted to it and peck at it drawing more blood and this will severely damage the internal bits and the bird could die. separate and keep her warm and quiet
    I have looked up how to deal with this:
    If you think it may be a prolapse you can gently try and push back inside. Wear gloves and you can attempt to put everything back in by gently turning the bird so that her head is pointing downwards and applying a little warmed liquid parrafin to the prolapsed organs. Then carefully manipulate the insides back toward the vent and if you are lucky gravity will take everything back in.If you have haemorrhoid cream this will reduce the swelling.
    If in doubt - get a vet to do all this - she may need anti biotics to comat infection.
    Luckily I have never yet had to deal with a prolapse, though I know it is common in laying chooks
    Keep us updated and good luck!

6. scrabbles

scrabbles New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    acorn is barren so doesnt lay eggs but you may be right!!
    how are your chucks doing? i hope they are getting better i see my dad tomorrow so will tell him about all this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by