1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood Bath....Sorta

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Broodica, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I think I just learned something new...do not put a metal feeder in with ducklings. My son went in to check on our mallards/rouen in the tub and there was blood everywhere. Freaked out!!! Granted, it was mixed with all the water they spill so sure it wasn't quite as bad as it looked. Checked the new metal feeder and sure enough, a bit of blood on it. Pulled them all out and went over every inch of their bodies and bills and cannot find even a little nick on any of them. We put them on a white towel on the floor and no sign of blood anywhere. Washed the tub out completely (for the 3rd time today...lol) and set it back up WITHOUT metal feeder, (now in the garbage). They are all walking fine, eating and drinking fine. acting their normal goofy selves.

Kind of freaking out becuz I am worried about infection, but can't find anything to treat. Any suggestions?

Just as an aside, we are getting our first quacks....they sound like teenagers who's voices are cracking.... [​IMG]

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Strange.....

3. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Could it be their tongues? Do you see blood in the new clean water?

That is very strange.

4. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Nope - just went in to do their goodnight water refill and towel/mat change...no blood in their water reservoir and none in their food....this is so weird. I mean there was blood on their sleeping towel, blood on the feeder/waterer mat. I should have taken a pic....it was not a 'do you think that might be a spot of blood?' situation. Their towel had a fair amount of blood tracked on it, which led me to think it was someone's feet. Can't find any evidence of a nick on top of their feet or on the bottom, not on their legs, nothing on their bills and they are eating like their usual piggy selves which leads me to think their tongues are OK. The 2 older ducklings are starting to feather in. Possibly a broken feather shaft? Would that cause bleeding? But still no sign on their bodies and they are tame enough that we could check them over thoroughly.....I am mystified. I am just hoping that nothing gets infected which could indicate where the problem is. Bizarre.

5. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Is it possible that the blood is from something else, like a frog or a mouse that found its way into the duck area and they caught it? My ducks will take food to their water and dunk it in, especially if it is too big to swallow whole. They kind of beat it about a bit, dunk it in, shake it, etc. If it was half a frog in the water (and they will rip them apart) then that might explain the blood. Ducks can be quite the predator of small animals.

6. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    They are in our bathtub in the house. A mouse is a definite possibility, but then I would think there would have been guts and stuff strewn about? They are just fine this morning. We have checked them again for any signs of damage or infection and can't find a thing. I don't know, I guess this one is for the 'we might never know' books. At least I hope so. I'm still worried about the possibility of infection given how messy and dirty the little cretins are [​IMG] Being extra vigilant at keeping the tub clean as possible, so showering it out with hot water 3x a day now. Thank goodness for sons!

7. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Sounds like you have got very spoiled ducks there, I hope they appreciate it [​IMG]

BTW, any mouse guts would have been gobbled up without a trace!

Lol, can't believe I am posting about mouse guts - how random!

8. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    LOL....mouse guts...yuuuuuuummmmmm. [​IMG]

They are spoiled rotten and I'm sure we will pay for it once they are out in the run. It's almost finished. Just need to build the duck house and wait for the youngest to fully feather out. Probably another 3-4 weeks before they are introduced to their new home. That's if the galoot of a Rouen hasn't squished them all first. Might have to go into the garage for a bit before the run. The Rouen will take up the whole tub him/herself in another week or two!

Thanks all for the suggestions about the blood. Would love to know what that was all about, but probably will never know. They are only too happy to be checked over everyday. They just flop in our arms as we check them out. I think they think we're just giving them massages! [​IMG]

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Quite possible it was a blood feather--they'll bleed A LOT and can actually bleed a bird to death. But since it's stopped now, I wouldn't worry any more about it.

But, like you, I don't use metal in my brooders because I HAVE had birds injured on them. In my case, one got stuck between the feeder and the edge of the brooder, and in trying to get its leg loose, it rubbed and rubbed on the metal lip and dug a hole straight down to the bone. It was awful. The duckling actually survived and after a few days of limping, was as good as new. They recover REALLY fast at that age. But I won't take chances any longer. Plastic feeders are slightly more expensive, but more than worth it. No metal in the brooders for me!

Sounds like your babies are in good shape. Enjoy!

10. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Wow...totally newbie here. Knew nothing of blood feathers. Everything seems to be fine now, so I will just keep an eye open....like I haven't been already [​IMG] Thought the metal feeder might work better becuz my rouen's bill is huge and I was thinking he could use bigger holes which the metal feeder had. Anyway, he is certainly not starving, so I'm not going to worry about it. Plastic all the way.

So glad your duckling made it OK. How awful! I swear these birds are going to drive me to drink! Love them, tho [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by