blood blister by ear?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs. K, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing 8 Years

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I just posted this in the behaviors, and now think I should have posted here. Will try to do better.

Two days ago, I went down in the morning, and one of my buff orpington has a bloody spot on the side of her head, but I have them in a completely enclosed run, and since we built that pen, we have been safe from predators. I figured that she must of caught herself up on something.

However, today, I went down to the pen, and two more chickens have a swelling on the side of their head, looks something like a blood blister, right close to the ear. I now think that is what the BO had, and that it popped.

They do not show any sign of distress or sickness, but I don't like this. Mrs.K

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Have you checked out the pictures of fowl pox? Could that be it?

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing 8 Years

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Well it looks bigger than the spots in fowl pox, those seemed to be about the size of a pencil erasure, or smaller. It kind of looks like a "strawberry birthmark" slightly smaller than dime, raised and red, right on or right close to the ear lobe. I only have one chicken with a larger comb, the rest all have a pretty tight pea comb. The two that have this, have the tight comb, and there is nothing anywhere else on the bird. I will check more on the fowl pox site, however, when I first checked on fowl pox, it said it was spread by mosiquitoes, and we are way past those this time of year. I have not added a new bird to the coop since August, and I am the only one for miles that has chickens, and I mean miles! Thanks you for your response. mrs.K

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by