Blood blister on leg for two months that won't heal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PortlandChick, Aug 5, 2011.

1. PortlandChick

PortlandChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    I'm sure how to add a picture in my post, but our sweet houdan, Co Co has had what we thought was a simple blood blister on her leg for about 2 months. We really haven't taken it seriously because it doesn't seem to bother her, the other chicks don't peck it and every time we start to worry, it bleeds a bit and then looks like it is healing and shrinking up. Then we find her in the yard again with blood streaming down her leg. Yesterday we had to wrap it in guaze to get it to stop bleeding and when we changed her bandage last night it had gone down again and looked to be healing. We have kept it wrapped, but are unsure what else to do. Keep it wrapped? Antibiotics? Anyone else experienced this. And how can I add a photo? Thank you!

2. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I am not sure what it may be, but I would just to be on the save side start giving here an antiboitic and I would put neosporin with out pain reliever on it and try to keep it wrapped, with of course changing it daily to keep an eye on it, to see if it is getting any better. Or perhaps you have an vet nearby that treats chickens. [​IMG]
    Hope she gets better.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It sounds like some kind of staph. I would put her on antibiotics, wash the wound with soap and water daily, put some ointment on, and keep it covered with something (layer of gauze) that lets the air in.
    If it hasn't gone away with just ointment, it is time for antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by