Blood & Blood Clots in Egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MIghtyClucks, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MIghtyClucks

MIghtyClucks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2015
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm a little concerned in regards to the blood and what seemingly appears to be a blood clot in one of my hens' eggs.
    We have 24 who all lay some shade of brown eggs, so it's a bit difficult to try and determine which lady laid it.
    [​IMG]

I know that sometimes this is normal, but a coworker reported to me that she had an egg full of blood a couple of weeks ago.

My hens are about 10 months old- we have a mix of Barred Rocks, Golden Buffs, a Dominique, a Rhode Island Red, a Black Jersey Giant, a Black Australorp, a couple of Barnevelders, and one Partridge Penedesenca- just in case knowing the breed can help :)

I would really appreciate any input/suggestions!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

You can read about blood spots at this link. It’s written more for commercial operations than us but the basic ideas hold.

They electronically candle their eggs to eliminate this type of thing in the eggs at the store but we often see the various egg defects. If it is a rare one-off thing, it’s not a big deal, but if it is consistent and only one hen, then you might want to try to figure out which hen is doing it. I don’t have any good ideas on how to do that though if the eggs look about the same shade of brown. I have the same kinds of problems.

3. MIghtyClucks

Feb 2, 2015
    Thank you for the link, Ridgerunner! I'm going to flip through the pages and see if I can find anything.

Everyone seems to be acting normal except that a few are molting a bit...

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I used to have a hen who after laying normal eggs, started to lay eggs just like yours every time she laid for 6 months. The she stopped laying from then on. Since I had 2 hens who laid that dark brown egg, I couldn't give them away or sell them.

5. MIghtyClucks

Feb 2, 2015
    Hmmmm. I'll just have to try and keep an eye on everyone.

We'll try candling the eggs in order to help see any funk in there?

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Good luck with the candling, but that's why I always crack an egg in a separate bowl before adding it to anything. With our eggs, you just never know what you will get. I still think our eggs are worth it.

7. MIghtyClucks

Feb 2, 2015
    Fresh eggs from your own flock are definitely worth it!
    I noticed in the past that my stomach would feel queasy after eating store-bought eggs. I don't seem to have that problem after eating the eggs from our hens [​IMG]

8. kikachick

kikachick New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    There really is no need to candle your eggs as they are safe to eat. The "industry" does it because Americans are so used to their designer, unblemished, tasteless food. If it bothers you just because, then scramble it up for your dogs or chickens (cooked in olive oil & no salt is best).

http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/egg-safety/eggs-and-food-safety#6

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by