Blood but no injury?

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
I woke up to my duck, Sprightly, with blood on her bill-! Not much, but in three areas on the bill.
I took a thorough look, her legs, feet, wings, even around her vent, no injuries. Around her face, and in her mouth. I also checked her sister over, and no injuries that could have been pecked at. Based on where it is, I figure it must have come from her nares? Whatever it was, it's stopped bleeding now.
What do you all think?
If I'm right, is that normal? Much different than a human nose bleed? Could she have bumped her beak?
They have water overnight, so most of it was probably washed away.

Attachments

• IMG-20220416-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220416-WA0000.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20220416-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220416-WA0001.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20220416-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220416-WA0002.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20220416-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220416-WA0000.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20220416-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220416-WA0001.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20220416-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220416-WA0002.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 7
I woke up to my duck, Sprightly, with blood on her bill-! Not much, but in three areas on the bill.
I took a thorough look, her legs, feet, wings, even around her vent, no injuries. Around her face, and in her mouth. I also checked her sister over, and no injuries that could have been pecked at. Based on where it is, I figure it must have come from her nares? Whatever it was, it's stopped bleeding now.
What do you all think?
If I'm right, is that normal? Much different than a human nose bleed? Could she have bumped her beak?
They have water overnight, so most of it was probably washed away.
-- Applogies I think all photos sent twice--
I wanted to add also that I cant see any blood inside of her nares, only a tiny drop drying just outside

From the pictures, it almost looks like she could have scratched the fleshy lining of her nare. Maybe it's just the pictures though. She could have been scratching and her toenail did it or she could have been poked by the shavings (if you use shavings). I understand your concern but I would just keep an eye on her.

From the pictures, it almost looks like she could have scratched the fleshy lining of her nare. Maybe it's just the pictures though. She could have been scratching and her toenail did it or she could have been poked by the shavings (if you use shavings). I understand your concern but I would just keep an eye on her.
Okay this is a relief! I'll keep an eye on her. I don't use shavings but its possible she scuffed it on something, not sure what. some of it has gone/faded, but there's still what looks like blood visible through the bill, so I'm now pretty confident that she scraped or bumped it on something?
Either way she seems none the worse for it!
I'm always worried for one thing or another with this bird! My other girlie has not had a single issue! But this girlie keeps getting bumps and little hurts!

Back
Top Bottom