Blood butts on the chickens?????HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ventura974, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Ventura974

Ventura974 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    New England
    I noticed a couple of days ago that a couple of my hens where having a really bloody bottom. I immediately thought that either perhaps the roo was being too rough or the hens were hurting themselves by laying larger than normal sized eggs. I pulled the roo out of the coop and then noticed today that they were still all bloody. One of the hens was sitting on the nesting boxes on the outside of the coop and left a couple of drops of blood before she moved. Can anyone please help me try to figure out what this could possibly be. Their butts look like a big bloody scab. Is it a possibility that they have a case of coccidiosis? If so can I still eat the eggs they lay or should I not use those eggs at all. I have a flock of 22 hens and 2 roos. So far only noticed this on two of my hens, haven't quite checked the other ones out yet. Any info would be greatly helpful. Thanks.

Ralph
    Eastford, CT

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would help if you answered the questions in the sticky at the top of the forum. You need to check for lice and mites.

Honestly, though, it sounds like they have turned cannibal and are doing this to each other. I hope not.

3. Ventura974

Ventura974 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    New England
    Answer the sticky? I'm sorry for sounding ignorant but were is that? I tried looking but wasn't able to find it. As far as lice & mites I'm not quite sure cause I do the deep litter method in my coop and add Dyatomaceous Earth to the mix, I hope I spelled that right. I was told that helped keep lice & mites away. Is there something else I can do?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by