blood by beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Monstro, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Monstro

Monstro Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2014
    Wayland, MI
    Noticed open blood on our Bella today. Not sure how, maybe the others are getting bored since none have wanted to venture into white stuff yet? Coop door gets opened but none have been brave enough.

How do i treat it? I have triple antibiotic ointment and vaseline. Out of bag balm. I usually swear by blu-kote with animals, but not on the face.

Thank you
    [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    It's very possible that this is from boredom from your other chickens. How serious is the bleeding? You might not need to treat it much at all. I would suggest treating it if it scabs over and the chickens decide to peck at it and make the bleeding worse or if it get's infected.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would grab her up and try to wipe it off. Hydrogen peroxide may help to get it off if the blood is dried. If there is still red showing, put on a rubber glove and spray a finger with your BluKote, and dab it on. They also make dab-on BluKote. Look for any sharp areas on feeders or pieces of the hardware cloth sticking out in the coop, if it's not from a peck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by