Blood clot beneath roost. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ADozenGirlz, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    We saw what looked like a sticky, slimy, blood clot beneath the roost this morning. It was sticky like egg whites, but I didn't see any yolk or egg whites and they usually lay later in the morning anyway, so I'm not sure what it was. Can anyone suggest what the problem could be? Thanks!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:A little more info. would be good. There is a please read sticky at the top of the first page of this section. If you could answer as many of those questions as possible it would help everybody help you.

That being said do you think it's possible that they have cocci? That will cause a fair amount of blood in the stools when it gets to the advanced stages. If it is you need to start treatment with corid or sulmet immediately. Cocci is easy to treat, but can kill quickly so it's nothing to play around with.

[​IMG]

3. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. I'm not sure who left it. I have: Australorp NH Red, RI red, or Easter Egger, ages 8months to 5 years (I think the Australorp who is about 5, but could be wrong)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Acting absolutely normal
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Could find no injury or any defect.
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea.
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. 16 or 17% layer pellet, kitchen scraps, water
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Only found the one bloody poop, all other poop is normal
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Unsure.
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use` Chicken coop with 4 nesting boxes, 3 perches, 2 windows, access to outdoor run, bedding is coarse sawdust with an layer of DE under it , hay in nesting boxes .

Thanks for your input!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Here's a link to a "poop page" maybe that will narrow things down for you. If you're not sure I would go ahead and treat for cocci. I won't use antibiotics unless I know they need them--infected injury etc. but I will treat for cocci "just in case" because it (cocci) doesn't build up any resistance to the treatment and it can kill very quickly once you start seeing blood. Keep the updates coming.

http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=7588

5. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Whatever the problem was, it hasn't happened again and she seems fine.
    Thanks for your concern and response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by