blood clots on the roost

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmerbob, Sep 20, 2010.

1. farmerbob

farmerbob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    I have been finding my girls leaving clots in their stool only during the time they spend on their roost shelf. some have been laying for a little over a month. they seem to behave pretty normal. I have been giving them left over plants from my garden for treats they seem to really like them. mostly broccoli & corn, otherwise its layer feed 16% & cracked corn. their droppings seem a little loose. Are the veggies responsible for this? any suggestions, many thanks

Bob

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
  3. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    It may be completely normal...depends on what it looks like. Chickens shed intestinal lining in their poop sometimes.
    Coccidiosis generally looks like blood...liquid bloody stools. Shed intestinal lining looks more 'meaty', can be pink or red, seems to USUALLY be passed with other poop that's more solid-- it shouldn't be liquid, runny blood.

Most of the time, with coccidiosis, by the time they're having bloody stools, the birds is pretty bad off... it's one of the latter symptoms of the infection...and as I understand it, not many make it back to health once they're that far 'gone' in the illness.

Check out these poop pictures-- gross, but helpful!

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by