blood coming from pip...help..is it normal

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigtooks, May 9, 2009.

1. bigtooks

bigtooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Norwalk, Ohio
    this is my first hatching...and they are hatching right now...there is blood ..not dripping..just bloody at the pip..is this normal or a bad sign?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Did it pip at the small endor big end?
    It could have hit a vein when it pipped, as long as the blood stopped you should be ok, I would just monitor it if you can.

3. bigtooks

Apr 19, 2009
    Norwalk, Ohio
    it pipped at the small end..i can still see movement so maybe its alright..looks like the blood is drying

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is good that the blood is drying. It has pipped at the wrong end. You will need to monitor the chick of you can to make sure it has not broken the yolk sac. Do not open the bator though, you will lose humidity!!

5. bigtooks

Apr 19, 2009
    Norwalk, Ohio
    how long does it usually take to hatch from the time it pips?

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It can take 24 hours or so, I just sent you a message!

7. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    bigtooks, I had a similar problem except my chick was fully zipped. In my case the chick didn't make it past that point. I have advice though, make sure the blood isn't getting into the chicks nostrils. I think mine drowned in the blood which turned out to be coming from an injury on it's side.

8. bigtooks

Apr 19, 2009
    Norwalk, Ohio
    what does fully zipped mean? the pip is facing down so i hope that the blood is not getting in its nostril

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Zipped is when the chick starts breaking away at the shell like a zipper to get out.

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Sometimes they just get it wrong. Hopefully since it stopped bleeding the bugger will get it right in the end. It tells you there are still a lot of veins and blood unabsorbed so the baby should take a LOT more time just resting and absorbing the blood from the veins before trying to get out.

If you helped now, he'd bleed out. So hope and let him rest, a pip means he can breathe if he didn't get blood in his nose.

In one of my last couple hatches I had one kick out bleeding and with the yolk unabsorbed. Named him after a football kicker. Rolf. I snatched him out, wrapped him, the egg and all in press-n-seal like a little sleeping bag with his head free and set him near the warmer end of the hatcher and prayed. He made it. He's huge and rotten.

They do sometimes bleed or even kick it open too early. Nature doesn't really do perfection. Some make it anyway. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by