Blood coming out of my 2 of My Turkin Hens Butts Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken-n-worms, Aug 21, 2014.

1. chicken-n-worms

chicken-n-worms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    Joshua Tree California
    So I have had Chickens most of my life and never seen this 2 of my Turkin hens have blood dripping out of there butts for about a week eggs have blood on them there eggs have been extra big also they are about 2 years old any info on what I should do? They dont look or act like they are sick they are acting normal still laying eggs everyday I looked to see if they were being pecked and it doesnt look like it from what I can see.

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Sounds like they're just laying really big eggs. Not to sound gross, but do you have a picture?

3. chicken-n-worms

Apr 14, 2014
    Joshua Tree California
    No but I can post one this evening

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have Turkens ( Naked Neck ) chickens and they do tend to lay huge eggs..sometimes the egg shells are laced with blood but I have not yet seen blood dripping from their vent(s) after laying eggs..

Do you offer oyster shell and any calcium supplement ?

If not it may be an idea to offer them some...you could try putting blue kote on their backsides in case there is the possibility of any other chickens pecking at the sight of blood at their vent area..sadly chickens can peck another to death at the sight of a bloody vent...best to apply blue kote before any other chickens may peck at their vent area.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. chicken-n-worms

Apr 14, 2014
    Joshua Tree California
    I haven't tried oyster shell but I do feed the their own eggs shells back to them in the Fermented Feed that I Feed them

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Check their vents to ensure that neither of them may be showing signs of a prolapse...if you see any protrusion to their vent area..bathe them and apply Preparation H or some honey ...then keep them in a darkened area for a day or two...I had one of my Turken girls suffer with a prolapse...she laid huge eggs and it is worthwhile to check their vent area regularly for any potential prolapse problem.

7. rbaker0345

That's a good idea, you should check for prolapse.

Also, I was wondering if some vaseline would help. You would need a rubber glove.....or two.

8. chicken-n-worms

Apr 14, 2014
    Joshua Tree California
    I separated the 2 hens and the blood is drying up. Can they bleed from mating to much? I think that was it not sure but the bleeding has stopped.

9. rbaker0345

Never heard of it happening but I guess anything is possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by