Blood Covered Eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoosterRidge, Oct 21, 2011.

1. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    For the past 3 days I have found a couple of eggs covered in blood. The eggs are perfect just have blood all over them. I see no signs of distress from any of the hens nor any signs of blood on any of them. Is this something that is happening because something is wrong with her? Any ideas as to what is happening? Our girls are 6 months old, red and tan sex links, tetras and a few we are not sure. I have 2 that have been broody for going on 6 weeks. I checked them today and they are clean as a whistle. I know that they bleed alittle when laying but this is alot of blood.

2. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    I knowwhen they first start laying there can be quite a bit of blood , but if they've been laying for a while, I'm not sure why there would still be bloody eggs [​IMG]

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    That is what I thought also. They have been laying since 13 weeks and I have never seen this before. Weird shaped eggs were common then but now they lay perfect eggs. I am just hoping that there is not something wrong and that is causing all the bleeding.

4. dublon

dublon New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    I have 3 chickens with this problem and they've been laying for 3 and half months.

One chicken died this morning....

What is going on?????

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I wouldn't worry if it only happens intermittenedly. Sometimes blood vessels will rupture along the reproductive tract and get on the shells. If the rupture happens higher up it would be inside the egg itself. These are all normal, and should resolve quickly.

However, if it keeps happening over the long term, that's an internal injury that will most likely lead to death [​IMG]

6. dublon

dublon New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Ok... thank you!!! [​IMG]

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I hope it isn't a long term leading to death for my hen, I have had blood covered eggs for 3 days straight. I've checked all their vents and can't figure out the culprit, I'm getting concerned.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:I would post a list of their symptoms in the Disease and Injury section here on the forums. There's a lot of really smart folks who can diagnose anything with enough information.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  9. loveckicks

loveckicks New Egg

Dec 16, 2012
    techumseh okla
    My hens have been laying for almost a ur and now that the weather has gotten really cold I have been getting eggs covered with blood as well ?....

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    As young pullets progress from laying small and medium eggs on to laying larger eggs a young pullet sometimes gets ahead of herself and produces an egg that is to big to pass easily from her vent. Therefor during the laying of such eggs tiny blood vessels are sometimes ruptured. That is all that an egg with a bloody shell means. Sometimes when returning to production after a hiatus from laying (say after the molt) a hen will also pop a vessel or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by