1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood drops and bloody broken eggs!! HELP.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jakrzz, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Okay so I go to my coop this morning and the first thing I see in my run is what looks like the membrane of the egg with pieces of shell on it and it was COVERED in blood. I picked it up and threw it outside. So I go in my coop and ontop of the nesting boxes is a 2 in width puddle of blood!! And then a few droplets heading back towards the run! WHAT IS GOING ON?! Now I don't know if this helps but I recently got a white leghorn rooster from a neighbor because I want some little chickies! Now he doesn't peck them and they don't peck him (I have 8 other hens with him now) he's really a sweetheart! Anyways I looked at all the chickens closely and noticed no blood whatsoever! And they're all eating, drinking, and walking normal.. So whats the deal?

Answers ASAP and thank you for reading this!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have seen a little blood on an egg now and then, and gotten an occasional egg with more than a drop of blood in it. Since they seem to be getting along with the cockerel, it may not have anything to do with him. If they were mine, I'd go in the coop at night with a good light and a helper, and look them all over carefully, for a wound. If I couldn't find one, I'd just wait and see. Good luck!

3. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Well thank you! But I mean there was A LOT of blood. Could an egg break inside the hen and cut her?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, although I have to say I haven't read of that happening very often here. After rereading your post, I think I see why you suspected this. I still think I would check for wounds, if you havent already. I learned through experience they can be difficult to see. Of course, it's also possible the blood came from inside her (or another one) from another cause, like a tumor.

Actually, I also saw a bunch of blood scattered around the coop one day when mine were pretty new to laying. I don't recall that there were any strange eggs that day. It sounds like the quantity was similar to what you saw. I never figured it out, and I never saw that much blood again, only an occasional smear on an egg. Also once I saw a fair amount inside an unbroken egg, enough that I tossed it after I cracked it to cook, probably a tsp. or more.

I hope she's OK!

5. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you for the concern! And I looked at my hens closely last night and discovered the my brown leghorn must have gotten in a fight and her ENORMOUS comb was pecked. (It's so big it flops over and covers her eye) but I lifted it up and saw a large scab, so I'm assuming that's what happened. There's no blood near any of their vents so *fingers crossed* they're all okay on the inside!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by