blood drops everywhere in quail pen.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sjaved789, Mar 2, 2014.

1. sjaved789

sjaved789 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    London City
    Hi. I have three quail in a pen for egg production. One male and two females. Today I noticed there were drops of blood everywhere in the pen I checked each of the quail and could not see any obvious injuries. I checked for any odd behaviour but again failed to notice any. Does anyone have any experience or clue as to what this could be. Thanks

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Could a small rodent gotten in there? I have seen them try to eat a mouse before.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Check their vents and their feet again in case you missed something. Rodents will try to eat quail. Rats will chew off dangling toes, I've even had them come into a wire cage and try to kill a hen (they almost succeeded). If it is a wire floor you most likely missed a wound on someones foot.

4. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City

I don't think it is possible for rodents to come in and out this pen. I noticed one of my hens has this weird bump on her beak and I heard these bumps will sometimes bleed, it could have been that I think. Thanks guys

5. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    My hens do that once in awhile. They can tear veins as they lay there eggs. If they are Cortunix they are bred to lay large eggs. But mine usually do fine they just heal up and keep laying. Dave

6. pigeons in ak

pigeons in ak Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    Alaska
    my quail hen broke the tip of her beak and it started to bleed the blood would go in to her mouth she did not like the taste and kept shaking her head and the blood drops went every where

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

An mouse can squeeze through a 1/2 inch square. If you can fit a pen through a hole, a mouse can fit too!

8. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City

SubhanAllah really

9. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City
    Guys I noticed one of my hens who has the spot on her beak screeching quietly while trying to lay an egg? I dont think the egg came out

10. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

yes, really. Their skulls are ...bendy, for lack of a better term.
    Not sure about rats,but I'm sure it's surprisingly small.[B

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by