1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blood everywhere....?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobzant, Feb 20, 2013.

1. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    my husband was gathering eggs and came to me concerned that one had blood on it. now i know a little blood is normal, but this one was covered. it was a blue egg so i had it narrowed down to who it could possibly be but they all look fine. there is blood all over the nest box, a perch, on the floor, and even on the window by the nest box...but no one is bleeding, and they dont have dried blood on their feathers. any idea what is going on?

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    It is normal for them to dribble a little blood when laying their first egg, but this sounds somewhat serious... I am sorry, I cannot help. I just thought I'd bump it to help.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Maybe one of them killed a mouse and the blood from it has been spread around.... it can happen!

Suzie

4. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    turns our one of my roos was bleeding and just happened to get in the nest box...odd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by