Blood EVERYWHERE!

BarredRocks3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
New Hampshire
In the back corner of my coop, blood slattered everywhere. Its a scary scene but, no visual signs of injury. Does anybody have an idea of the predator or what? Here's a pic, thanks

Why would you think it's a predator? Any birds missing?

I have had this happen when there is some aggression brewing in the flock. Sometimes, a head hen will get the nasty idea to peck one of her fellow hens REALLY hard on the comb... when the poor hen shakes her head, the blood splatters everywhere. I have had this mostly happen when there is roosting competition at night, especially when introducing new chickens to the flock.

I've also seen blood splatter like than when one was pecked in the comb and shook her head. I'd check to see if anyone has any scabs on their combs or evidence of dried blood on their heads. Lets just say it's not fun when you pick up the injured girl and she shakes her head at you and then you're splattered with blood!

You just have to watch them and see if it happens all the time or this is just an occasional incident. If you have an aggressive bird who starts to make a habit of pecking to the extent of drawing blood then you'll have to deal with that bird. But otherwise it's common for this to happen once in a while.

I've also seen blood splatter like than when one was pecked in the comb and shook her head. I'd check to see if anyone has any scabs on their combs or evidence of dried blood on their heads. Lets just say it's not fun when you pick up the injured girl and she shakes her head at you and then you're splattered with blood!
And it's always worse this time of year when it's so cold.

Back
Top Bottom