blood feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buffbuttercup, Jul 24, 2010.

1. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    i tried looking up this subject in older threads, but couldn't find a definite answer.

my brahma pullet has snapped off one of her foot feathers and it is bleeding at the stump. not terrible, but i was wondering if i should pluck it? leave it? or what? not overly concerned, but still wanna do right by my sweet pearl bird.

thanx!

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    If it is a blood feather you want to pluck it [​IMG]

3. DesertChick324

DesertChick324 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Palomino Valley/Reno, NV
    I always carry a leatherman for this reason. Pluck it!

4. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    BYC'ers to the RESCUUUUUUUUE!!!!!! thanx guys [​IMG]

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Pluck it. The shaft will act as a straw and blood will just keep coming through and keep coming through because the shaft won't close down. [​IMG] good luck [​IMG]

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If it's snapped off really close to the skin it may be difficult to pull out the shaft. You don't want to injure your bird more trying to control the bleeding. You can also use flour or cornstarch to get the bleeding under control; just dab some on the feather until you see it clotting. Since these are chickens, you'll probably want to isolate the bird for a while so the others don't peck at it and get it bleeding again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by