Blood found on an egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lenn, Feb 1, 2015.

1. lenn

lenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Ohio
    3 days in a row we have had blood on one of our 5 eggs. All five hens appear to be fine. Is this normal - as a nurse, blood never is normal... But that's in people. Any helpful clues or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I see a bit of blood in a new layer as she lays her first eggs. Is that your situation?

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    How old/young are your chickens ?

A young chicken laying for the first time will lay an egg laced with a blood strewn shell...sometimes a chicken will lay a large egg that will also show traces of blood...this is quite normal..

I would suggest you check the vents of your chickens to ensure that none of them have a problem with their vents...

Don't panic...anything abnormal you see..please re-post with further details...[

1 person likes this.
  4. lenn

lenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Ohio
    My chickens have been laying since July. I have had large (double Yokers) in the past but not for several months. Eggs are normal. Vents are clean and I will continues to check that each day. No blood in coop/hen house and very little on some bedding in the nesting box.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots
    Here are some explanations of blood inside the egg- maybe the same thing could happen but the blood gets outside the egg? I don't know. Of course there is always intestinal inflammation to blame but theoretically the egg should come out clean in that case due to the prolapse that occurs during the laying of an egg.

Kind of over my head but I thought you would like the link.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by