Blood from Ears

lukes52

Chirping
12 Years
Nov 18, 2011
My urban backyard flock consists of 3 white orpingtons, and 3 aracona hens. They are about 9 months old. They look as act healthy and are bearing eggs regularly. I noticed a small amont of blood on the walls of their nesting boxes then we saw red speckles on the backs of the Orpingtons. I asked at the local feed store and the only explanation I got was that blood from the ears indicated head trauma. I did get some powder for mites and sprinkled it around their enclosures and nesting boxes. I checked as well as I could for mites. Their feathers are very thick, fluffy and downy so I could only see a very small patch of skin in any one place. I found no lice of mites. I don't think it is head trauma because all 6 hens have the same problem. I noticed that there is a small amount of blood oozing from their ears. I checked the web and found nothing about bloody ears. I found plenty about mites, but no one said any thing about mites causing blood drops to ocasionally ooze from their ear holes.
Has anyone else heard of seen this problem. I guess it's a problem though at the present it doesn't seem to be too serous based on their activity and minimal blood loss.

Luke S

I HAVE seen posts about ear infections... you might do a search on that. Otherwise I have no clue. Wish I could help... I hope you get it figured out!

I have been watching closely and haven't seen any blood in the last few days.

Back
Top Bottom