Blood from Mallard Laying Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by juniverse, Dec 18, 2014.

1. juniverse

juniverse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    I have an 8 month old Mallard that is laying eggs.We noticed her cloth that she lays eggs on has blood on it. It's not too wet but still seemed alarming to us. Is this normal? We don't have oyster feed so what is another substitute for calcium?!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Well did she just start laying or has she been doing it for a few months?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Take a look at her toenails. Mine sometimes pull their toenails so hard (they get stuck), they bleed.

Check her belly. Look closely so you can see where the blood is coming from. It may or may not be the vent. Is blood on the eggs?

You can offer calcium by using calcium gluconate liquid, one teaspoon per half cup of water added to feed, you can try giving 50 mg of calcium citrate per day ( I am currently trying this out, myself due to some soft-egg layers), Some folks clean and then finely grind egg shells, adding them to feed.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  4. juniverse

juniverse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Her toenails are fine. Her belly has no blood as well and the blood isn't all over her bottom.

It actually gets on the towel on the area where she lays. There is no dripping blood on her vent. Seems to happen almost every time she has laid.
    But she has only laid 4 thus far and this is the first time she has ever laid eggs since she is only 8 months old.

The eggs have no blood on them at all! O.O

Maybe her body is adjusting to laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by