Blood in 10 day old chick stool

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CKNNWBEE, Oct 3, 2012.

1. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    Help! I just noticed blood poop from one of the girls.

2. Cool Peeps

Cool Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    If you have some other chicks in that brooder then there is a possibility that some of them are poking her "butt" because she is younger/weaker but it could be something else.

3. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    Thank you for replying, I am freaking out! I am going to sift through their 'playpen' and take pictures.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    sounds like cocci try corrid

5. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    I looked up pictures of baby chick poop and this website link from a previous thread had some pics. It is in the ceacal range for consistency and there seemed to be a bit of red. My only concern is they have eaten nothing but chick starter, where would the red come from?
    http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would treat for cocci just in case. It can kill quickly.

7. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    It wasn't blood, it was the shavings coloration. But, we are going to buy medications just in case future. Thank you

8. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    We have started them on Sulmet, but they don't like it and are now drinking less water.

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You have to give it to them then...being careful not to choke them. You don't want water in the lungs for sure! I do best putting it in the beak from the side and letting them swallow it but it is a slow method. Maybe someone with a better, faster way will chime in. It is imperative though that you get it in them.

10. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you said in another post that you had pine bedding in their brooder, right? o.o Pine shavings shouldn't turn their feces into any sort of color resembling blood, that's what I use. I've been really picky about scooping the poopy out of the brooder here, but I left it alone for a while so I could post findings on this thread at the end of the day. There's nothing that looks like anything even remotely resembling blood. How did your pine shavings change the color of their fecal matter? Are you sure they're not cedar shavings? If they are - those give off deadly toxins to chicks/chickens so I'd remove them right away (but those could cause discoloration of excrement to appear red, yes).

Is there a reason you chose Sulmet over Corid? Corid treats more strains of cocci than sulmet does, and it's a lot softer on their little systems. But - if there's a reason you chose sulmet I'd like to know what that reason is in case I ever need to get it for my chicks, too! =)

In regard to water, I would take a *tiny* amount of greek plain yogurt and a *tiny* amount of apple cider vinegar (organic) and mix it in with some of their water in a separate dish. Mine had that for breakfast this morning and loved it (and have been fine for 16+ hours now). It's loaded with probiotics and other digestive aids + encourages them to drink, as the flavor is interesting to them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by