Blood in a store bought egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JakeBremer, Jun 5, 2012.

1. JakeBremer

JakeBremer Songster

Feb 4, 2012
    Quinlan, TX
    Allright, so my dad was making crack store bought chicken eggs for break-fast. So i did, then i cracked one and it had blood in the yolk. I ruled out that it was a start of an embryo because it was store bought at Kroger. And i have no other ideas. What could it of been??????

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Just a blood spot most likely. They happen sometimes. Even commercially produced eggs have them.

The reason they are not often seen in store-bought eggs is that they are candled as a part of their grading process. Grade A eggs such as the grocer sells cannot have blood spots so those eggs are removed when they are found. In this case it would seem one made it through. If you've ever seen a video of how many eggs go across the egg grader candler per minute it's amazing they are not missed more often.

3. ECBW

ECBW Songster

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I get traces of blood in my backyard eggs sometimes. It is not a health concern, just your personal tolerance for something out of the ordinary. Commercial egg producers usually check but they do miss now and then.

4. JakeBremer

JakeBremer Songster

Feb 4, 2012
    Quinlan, TX
    Okay thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: