Blood in an egg (store bought)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aemelia, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Our 3 hens aren't laying yet.

So this morning I crack open a store bought egg for my daughter's breakfast and it had blood it in. Not a spot of blood on the yolk like the white was nearly pink with all the blood in this egg. What the Heck?! I threw it away but I'm really curious what happened with that egg the shell was totally normal looking. The yolk was intact and fine.

2. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    I believe a young hen very possibly did that, I've heard that sometimes young hens that are in their first couple months of lay do this, one of my hens did that this past year, And she only did it one time, it freaked my wife out when she cracked it open to cook breakfast, she thought I messed up and put an egg in the fridge that had a chick growing in it, she cried.... And now she won't eat eggs from my hens [​IMG]

3. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Oh that's too bad about your wife not eating you all's eggs. Thanks! I guess when my pullets start laying in a month or two I'll know what I'm seeing if they lay one of those.

4. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    More commonly, I would see a little blood speck that would be easy to pick out! Goodluck cracking, its probably very unlikely that'll happen again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by