Blood in an infertile egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoveMyChicks2, Nov 20, 2009.

1. LoveMyChicks2

LoveMyChicks2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Raeford, North Carolina
    I was making bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches with my kids a few moments ago. The last egg cracked was a double yolk. One of the yolks had a big blood clot on the yolk and the white was full of blood making it look ruby red. The egg had been refrigerated but not washed. I wash them as I use them (only wipe them off with dry towel). This may be a really stupid question but I did not think blood got in an egg unless it was fertile. I've searched this site but everything talks about blood in a fertile egg. Please enlighten me.

Thanks!

2. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    Ditto! I didn't find a LARGE blood spot, but what I found in the egg when I broke it open was definitely a blood spot, and we have no roos. I'll be interested in the response you get as well. ~G

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
  4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Roos have nothing to do with blood or meat spots. The only difference in a fertile egg versus an infertile egg is the size of a tiny white spot on the yolk. There are good pics of the difference here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008 . You really would not notice if you didn't know what to look for.

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Good link, Paganbird, So its blood from the reproductive tract that gets trapped in the forming egg.

6. LoveMyChicks2

LoveMyChicks2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Raeford, North Carolina
    Thanks all. I'm still trying to get the web site to pull up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by