blood in chick poop!

rkbhjk10

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2015
I just discovered one of my silkies pooping blood, it is only about 2 weeks old. What do I do? I have had the chicks on medicated feed since I have had them. The chick is still very active and doesn't seem to be in pain. But I am so scared it has something and may spread to my 20 other chicks. Help!

If it were me I'd do a round of Corid.

Medicated feed won't stop all cases of coccidiosis. Corid is in the cattle section of the feed store.

I give the Corid 9.6% solution, and I give 9.5 ml per gallon of water as the sole drinking water for everyone who has been exposed to the poo of the sick one (and of course for the sick one) for 5 days. I mix a new solution daily.

There is a powder also with a different dosage. From my experience the bloody poo should go away within 24 hours. There are 9 strains of cocci that affect chickens.

If the little one isn't drinking, dribble some of the medicated water alongside the beak with a syringe every hour or so as you can.

Last edited:
How long does it take for this to take a chicks life? I am now starting to notice it in a few others... this makes me extremely nervous. I wish I could go to the feed store now to pick it up but it won't be open till the morning. I really don't want to lose my chicks... :(

How long does it take for this to take a chicks life? I am now starting to notice it in a few others... this makes me extremely nervous. I wish I could go to the feed store now to pick it up but it won't be open till the morning. I really don't want to lose my chicks...
sad.png
They can die within 24 hours if they are severely affected.

Some flocks will have a "silent" problem with it, but be struggling.

They should be immune to it by 8 weeks of age. I have had to treat as late as 3 months of age, however, and I have also had to treat again a few days later when the bloody poo came back, for another 5 day treatment.

http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/coccidia.pdf

You are welcome!

Make sure you do see improvement very soon after treating. Some people end up having to try a different medication for another strain. Or if coccidiosis isn't the problem.

Corid has always worked for me, however. I won't raise chicks without having some on hand.

I am only seeing some poo with a little watery blood now. The chicks have been on medication for 3 days now...and i have not lost any or had any acting abnormal. Its so weird that they had no other symptoms but bloody poo. I hope they are all on the road to recovery, thank you for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom