blood in chicken poop.. decreased egg laying

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
Hey everyone
my chicken has blobs of blood in her poop
im not sure which chicken it is but I think it might be one of my pullets
there's also a decreased egg production.. I know they're just pullets but at the start they laid for two days and took one day break.. then after they laid every single day, rarely any break. Now we're just getting an egg a day and occasionally two eggs. I thought it was my lavender pekin who reduced her egg production seeing as she's the smallest (even though before she was bigger than my white pekin) but she laid an egg today. I really don't know what's wrong with her, she's acting normal and everything but really smaller and skinnier than the rest. she shows less of an interest in treats than she did before (but still runs to get some, she's just not crazy as she was before, and definitely in the mornings she couldn't care less about it, only pecks at it once or twice then leaves. but during the day she gobbles it up) but she acts normal otherwise.
ill post a picture of her if I can. for now, here's the poop picture.

1647083120570.jpeg
1647083392412.jpeg

Looks like intestinal shedding.

Can you take a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to check for worms?

Are you in the UK? You can try deworming yourself if testing is not possible. Flubenole would be a good choice.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Looks like intestinal shedding.

Can you take a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to check for worms?

Are you in the UK? You can try deworming yourself if testing is not possible. Flubenole would be a good choice.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
PHEW thanks a lot . Her crop is emptying fine but there's one issue..
I saw a piece of elastic band in one of their poops. No idea where they ate it. And a really tiny blue dot of plastic. Don't know if it was from a toy or what. They eat EVERYTHING. we had some builders fix our roof and some specks of plastic went on the ground after they finished. Caught the chickens fighting over to eat it. And they were crazy over it.. like pecking each other and shrieking if another chicken got it. I ran out and chucked the plastic away.. but has it harmed them? I mean that they're pooping it out but will remnants stay in their body? And I have no clue where they're eating all the stuff (apart from one area in our garden which has random bits of logs in it) will clean that out. But I only saw the elastic band today.. they must've eaten LOADS before. Will they be fine?

Depends on how large of pieces and what material they did ingest. A lot of things will pass on through. Metals like nails, staples, etc. can get lodged in the gizzard and/or digestive system and cause metal toxicity.
Make sure they have grit (crushed granite) available free choice.

Back
Top Bottom